[CLUE-Adm] domains

rjohnston at techangle.com rjohnston at techangle.com
Mon Nov 6 10:58:50 MST 2000

or denverclue.org

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeffery Cann <jccann at home.com>
To: <clue-admin at clue.denver.co.us>
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2000 7:04 AM
Subject: Re: [CLUE-Adm] domains

From: "Gary Every" <gevery at ecentral.com>
To: <clue-admin at clue.denver.co.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 15:25:09 -0500
Subject: [CLUE-Adm] The St. Louis InstallFest
Sender: clue-admin-admin at clue.denver.co.us

The folks in St. Louis did this below, what do you think of organizing one
here in Denver?
Check out their page: www.stlinux.org

Saint Louis Linux Installfest - Reflections
by: Matthew Porter <mailto:matthew at linuxguys.net>

Before I can even start this article, it is important to detail the series
of circumstances that led up to the Installfest. The first of these events
dealt with the previous Chairperson and founder of the group, Matthew C.
Feldt, recently "retiring" for personal reasons (aka he moved to another
city). Matthew had nurtured the Linux Group from the beginning. He had
sacrificed an inconceivable amount to build the current foundation.  As with
any major change, this event brought about a new sense of excitement within
the group and a new committee (albeit an informal one). All were deeply
committed to continue building the Linux community in Saint Louis by adding
to the foundation created by Matthew Feldt and others- some of whom are
still extremely involved. This committee, consisting of Kara Pritchard,
Steve Pritchard, Tony Zafiropoulos, Stan Reichard, and myself, have worked
extremely hard to bring further success to the group. One of the
incarnations of this was the planning and execution of the Installfest.  As
with any event, there were hurdles to overcome. The first hurdle was the
location to host the event. The search for a location continued for a number
of weeks due to the number of constraints- central location, plenty of open
space, electricity to simultaneously power twenty-five computers and
monitors, and preferably a high-speed Internet connection.  The best
possibilities were determined: libraries, schools, the sponsoring company's
offices, other technology companies, and as a final possibility, hotels.
Most libraries and schools in Saint Louis were unable to accommodate,
typically due to the electricity constraints on the older buildings,
scheduling conflicts, or liability issues. The primary sponsor of the event,
Linuxgruven.com (<http://www.linuxgruven.com/>), did not have the space to
host the event; however, they had generously offered to pay the costs for
any space rented. The suitable possibilities were now narrowed to the two.
One would believe that technology companies would love to jump at an
opportunity such as a Linux Installfest. The offer to have more than fifty
geeks come to your company on their day off. The worst possible outcome is
that some extremely intelligent geeks spent an entire day installing Linux
and learning about the hosting company for penalty of a slightly elevated
electricity bill and use of the T1.  Despite trying to put this spin on the
event when talking to technology companies, most inhibited two responses to
the Installfest. The first was that they were unequipped to handle the
event, an answer which is entirely understandable. The second was that there
was nothing for them to gain, either monetarily or otherwise, from the event
despite having the facilities. This was the most hurtful, especially since
this was the response given by one nationally-known Linux company whom shall
remain nameless.  Approximately one month before the event, the location was
finally confirmed; however, due to financial reasons within the company, the
offer was revoked a little over two weeks prior to the event. With nowhere
to turn and not wanting to burn the money granted by Linuxgruven.com, luck
shined down (finally). A recent talk with the Director of The Emerging
Technology Team at Quatrix Consulting (<http://www.quatrix.com/>) stepped
forward and offered some recently acquired office space, full access to
their network and T1, and anything else needed.  With the Linuxgruven.com
money freed, it could be used for more important costs- media advertisements
and food for the event. Announcements went out to the major Linux events
websites. The local newspapers and computer journals had already been
contacted. Now, the time for guerilla marketing took effect. More than two
hundred flyers were placed on Best Buy and CompUSA parking lots and
(unauthorized) random spots inside the stores, usually near the Linux
distributions. The flyers had a headline that read "UPGRADE YOUR PC FOR
FREE -- Linux Installfest" and time and directions regarding the event.
Simple, subtle, but would it be effective?  Arriving and setting up for the
event was a nerve-racking process- not due to the amount or type of work
involved, but whether the event would be a success. Everything had been
planned. There was plenty of room, electricity, network connectivity, and
food. Kara Pritchard had supplied two tables worth of freebies, including
books, posters, T-shirts, among others. There were local Linux experts able
to assist the installations. But nothing had been done like this in Saint
Louis before. Finally, people started to arrive....  Then, more people
started to arrive. And more people arrived. It had reached the point that
there were lines for experts and open tables. One man brought six computers.
Another had stopped off at Best Buy to purchase a computer for the event
(which ended up having a bad CD-ROM, but that's another story). People were
coming from more than one hundred miles away. Andrew Hoog, the Director at
Quatrix, began moving his employees' computers and belongings so that there
was more space for installations.  During this entire process, a reporter
from the Saint Louis Post-Dispatch, the only local metro-newspaper in Saint
Louis, had been talking to me about the Linux and the growth of companies
around it locally. The reporter, Peter Shinkle, attended the Installfest
accompanied by a photographer. Approximately one and a half weeks after the
event, articles about Linux, the Installfest, and local Linux companies
headlined the business section of the Post-Dispatch. This was much to the
happiness of Quatrix and Linuxgruven.com who were honorably mentioned....
So was the first Saint Louis Linux Installfest a success? Without a doubt,
the answer is yes. More than sixty-five people signed in at the event. This
number does not include those from the group and the people that did not
know to sign in for the first one and a half hours. The total installations
was estimated at about eighty-five, all within five hours. Not bad, not bad

Gary Every, LCA
881 S. Williams St.
Denver, CO 80209
303-829-5448
gevery at ecentral.com
"I feel the force of NT is strong in this one. Take care to avoid him"