US Domain Re: [CLUE-Adm] clue.denver.co.us not responding

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Wed Oct 25 14:40:15 MDT 2000

Jeffery Cann wrote:
> ....  Maybe it's time to boot the clue.denver.co.us domain name
> and get use something that we can control?  I am happy to donate $
> for domain name registration fees, if needed.  Let me know.

I was ready to abandon the clue.denver.co.us domain, but it has
finally been sorted out, so I won't.  While I appreciate your
offer of cash, I like the the regional US domain names not only
because they're free (or cheap -- I understand that they are not
necessarily free and that a set up fee can be charged for them)
but because they also don't have to be renewed every year or two.
While I have little objection to paying for a .org domain, the
renewal would get passed on to who ever takes over the LUG.
Since our LUG operates pretty much on a zero funds basis, I think
the less overhead and maintenance we take on, the better chance
our LUG has to survive over time.

For future reference, the person that's currently in charge of the
denver.co.us domain is:

  Chris Garner
  <cgarner at qwest.net>
  <chris.garner at qwest.com>

He apparently administers a good portion of the front range regional
domains including Boulder, Ft Collins and Colorado Springs.

Current contact information for the administrator of denver.co.us
should be available by querying the whois database (it seems to be
a little out of date).  For example,

 whois -h whois.isi.edu denver.co.us
 whois -h whois.isi.edu boulder.co.us
 whois -h whois.isi.edu fort-collins.co.us
 whois -h whois.isi.edu greeley.co.us
 whois -h whois.isi.edu colorado-springs.co.us
 etc.

(No one is listed for Greeley.)

More information can be found at the http://www.nic.us/ web site.

To make changes to our domain we need to fill out a US domain template.
A copy of which I'm including below:

US DOMAIN TEMPLATE

US Version:  Jul 97

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER THIS APPLICATION IN ANY WAY.  Send your
.US registration to us-domain at isi.edu.  See attached detailed
instructions.

      1.   REGISTRATION TYPE
           (N)ew (M)odify (D)elete..:

      2.   FULLY-QUALIFIED DOMAIN NAME:

      3.   ORGANIZATION INFORMATION
      3a.  Organization Name.....:
      3b.  Address Line 1........:
      3b.  Address Line 2........:
      3c.  City..................:
      3d.  State.................:
      3e.  Zip/Code..............:

      4.   DESCRIPTION OF ORG/DOMAIN:
      5.   Date Operational......:

      6.   ADMINISTRATIVE CONTACT OF ORG/DOMAIN
      6a.  NIChandle (if known)..:
      6b.  Whole Name............:
      6c.  Organization Name.....:
      6d.  Address Line 1........:
      6d.  Address Line 2........:
      6e.  City..................:
      6f.  State.................:
      6g.  Zip/Code..............:
      6h.  Voice Phone...........:
      6i.  Electronic Mailbox....:

      7.   TECHNICAL AND ZONE CONTACT
      7a.  NIChandle (if known)..:
      7b.  Whole Name............:
      7c.  Organization Name.....:
      7d.  Address Line 1........:
      7d.  Address Line 2........:
      7e.  City..................:
      7f.  State.................:
      7g.  Zip/Code..............:
      7h.  Voice Phone...........:
      7i.  Electronic Mailbox....:
      7j.  Registration Mailbox..:
      7k.  Fax Number............:

      8.   PRIMARY SERVER: HOSTNAME, NETADDRESS
      8j.  Hostname..............:
      8k.  IP Address............:
      9.   SECONDARY SERVER: HOSTNAME, NETADDRESS
      9a.  Hostname..............:
      9b.  IP Address............:
^L

I hope this info helps spare others the grief we've suffered
with this.

Lynn Danielson
Colorado Linux Users & Enthusiasts