[CLUE-Adm] Re: Linux Marketing Plan

Jeffery C. Cann jccann at home.com
Sat Mar 24 23:15:42 MST 2001

On Saturday 24 March 2001 08:27, Miriam Rodriguez wrote:

> I have been requested to communicate with you and others in CLUE on more of
> a technical level regarding marketing Linux to the business community at
> large.

Miriam.

First, let me thank you for your email.  I appreciate the clear explanation.
This is the sort of information I hoped to receive from Elisabeth.  I do not
know why it has been difficult for us to communicate with Elisabeth.
However, I do have some ideas which I state below.

Next, for the CLUE admins to be receptive to any marketing plans, it is
important for you and Elisabeth to understand a few things:

1.  To this point, it has been difficult for me (and the other CLUE admins)
to understand the marketing plan because Elisabeth has not provided
sufficient details about it.  The result is we are left with too many
unanswered questions which prevent us from giving the marketing plan serious
consideration.

2.  In talking with Elisabeth, it seems to me that she may have an errant
perception that 'techies' do not understand simple business concepts like
marketing.  Many of us own our own companies and others have worked in sales
and marketing.  Some of us are authors of books and articles.  Still others
are commercial artists.  We are a diverse group of people.  What we need is
sufficient information about a concept to allow us to evaluate its merit.

3.  You stated above that were asked 'to communicate on a more technical
level'.  I disagree.  You wrote a simple email that begins to explain the
marketing plan.  From Elisabeth, I have not asked for any technical
information, merely a simple explanation that addresses the following
questions:

+ Summary of the proposal (what, why, how)
+ The benefits to CLUE.
+ The costs ($) to CLUE.
+ Overview of the 20/20 Foresight Foundation for Economic Development.

Given my questions and your explanation,  I have posed other questions below:

> We need to define the scope of what we are trying to accomplish (i.e.
> educate businesses to the advantages of Linux and thus increasing demand
> for technicians with that skillset), who are we trying to reach, who would
> be included and role each would would play.

When you say 'we'.  To whom are you referring?  You and Elisabeth?  CLUE?
Linux users?  The 20/20 group?

> Market research would need to be performed in order to identify  who would
> be receptive to utilizing Linux for their day to day operations.

To whom would the market research be directed?

> The following would be necessary to accomplish this.
>
> 1) A survey would need to be created with approximately 20 questions.  A
> focus group could be created to determine what these questions should be.
> One idea would be to list the advantages of Linux over Microsoft, i.e.
> cost, where Linux can be used for the same functions as Microsoft and
> develop the questions based on that.
> 2) Create a focus group of business owners/managers and technical persons
> who would be interested in the results of that survey. These persons could
> serve as sponsors.

Given your tasks, why do you need CLUE?  Why not write your own survey, do
you own market research and sell the results (to the folks you are calling
'sponsors')?

To this point, no one has explained the role of CLUE in the marketing plan.
Do you expect CLUE to be a consumer of the marketing plan or what?  I would
appreciate it if you would please explain the role of CLUE in the plan.

> From the results, a marketing plan will be developed.

What benefits would CLUE receive from such a marketing plan?  For what would
CLUE use this plan?  Given that CLUE has no money, no assets, and no status
as a Non-Profit Organization, how do you expect to earn any money from CLUE
in exchange for the development of the marketing plan?

I look forward to your reply.
Thank you.

Jeffery Cann
CLUE President