[CLUE-Adm] Re: [CLUE-Tech] Re: KISS for security

Lynn Danielson lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us
Mon Mar 26 18:47:28 MST 2001

Tim Russell wrote:

>     Well, I'll jump into the fray by also offering to do a talk...  I'm new
> to the area as of last November, and I work as a consultant doing Internet
> security work on a project basis for companies all over the country.

Welcome to the area, Tim, and thank you for offering to talk to the
group!
Security is a topic a number of the LUG members are very interested in.
I've currently got talks scheduled into the fall, but since our main
presenter canceled this month I may have an opening before then.  Our
KISS presentations are supposed to be a half hour long and oriented
towards beginners.  Would this interest you or would you prefer the hour
long main meeting time slot (actually we recommend a 45 minute talk with
a 15 minutes for questions)?

>     Prior to starting the consulting gig, I set up and ran one of the two
> biggest ISPs in Omaha (I know, I know, but it was actually fairly big) with
> no firewalls whatsoever for three years using BSDI and Linux systems.  This
> was from 1995 to 1998.
>
>     If nothing else, I could tell you some stories...  ;-)

Stories can be good.  I just hope they're not all horror stories to
frighten us into better security practices. ;-)  Let me know which of
the above presentation formats will work for you and I'll get you
scheduled in.

Best regards,

Lynn Danielson

CLUE Speaker Coordinator