[CLUE-Adm] Re: CLUE-Newsletter

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Fri Feb 22 20:10:32 MST 2002

On Friday 22 February 2002 05:47 pm, Lynn Danielson wrote:

> It's up to you, but why delete this list if it might get used again?
> Is it bugging you that we have a newletter list that's going unused?

My main reason is the public perception that we have a newsletter list and we
produce no newsletters.  Although, I maybe be too sensitive.  No one has ever
asked 'Why don't I get a newsletter?'.  :-P

(BTW - I checked all of the Colorado LUGS and some well known (and
well-organized) ones -- e.g., SVLUG and NTLUG and none publish official
newsletters that I could find.  Instead, they post news to their web sites.)

> Having said this, I'm not interested in taking over the job.

Herein lies the crux of the problem.  Everyone knows that putting together a
good-looking newsletter takes more time than it would seem.   This is true
especially if a single person has to write all of the content every month.
Hence, Grant is the 'editor' because he made it clear that he is not willing
to write it.

> But I would be willing to contribute something on a monthly basis.

So would I.  But, to 'contribute' means that we all share the burden of
content.  So, we are in a sinking ship together.  The question is -- do we
bail out the lifeboat or just jump in the ocean?

> If we can find one or two other people to do the same thing we might have a
> substantial newsletter.  I think that even a minimal newsletter is
> better than nothing.  I know that Wayde got kudo's for writing a few
> sentences about the BLUG meetings and posting them in a couple of places.
> I know that our O'Reilly would like to receive our monthly newsletter.
> According to one of the LUG HOW-TO's, newsletters are one of the methods
> that help maintain a healthy LUG.  It's one of the few thing's they
> recommend which we don't bother to do.  If we had somekind of a monthly
> newsletter, even a bare bones minimilist one, I might have some incentive
> to try to improve it.  If we never put one out it's hard for anyone to
> get motivated about it.

These are all great reasons to produce a newsletter and I agree that it would
be a Good Thing (tm).  But I am a realist and based on our track record, we
have not produced.  Unless we commit to change, newsletters will continue to
go unproduced.

> So, I'm against deleting the newsletter list.  And if Grant has a
> template or is willing to put one together, I'll help out.

Obviously, we disagree.  However, given that Lynn is against it, we can give
it another go but only if other admins (besides Lynn) will contribute content
on a regular basis.

I will be willing to write a column and I think we need 2-3 other folks to
commit.  Also, any admin emeritus (Kevin?) who have writing skills would be
helpful.  Another idea is to solicit for a CLUBie Column -- where a guest
CLUBies writes a column.  We could ask a different person each month.

To formalize Lynn's ideas, I think here is what we need to make the
newsletter a reality:

1.  Get a template -- The template should allow easy production to web site
and then a 'text' export to the email list.
2.  For the template, define a few (3-6) columns for the newsletter.
3.  Assign an admin (or CLUEBie) to a column.  Columns could be written from
scratch or be a synopsis of meetings, events, CLUE-Tech (all of Lynn's ideas)
highlights.
4.  Have a monthly deadline to give columns to Grant.  Public flogging if
deadlines or missed.  Well, not public flogging, but I won't be buying beers
for slackers!
5.  Grant composes the template and publishs to mail list and web site.

I would like to hear from other admins, so please speak up.  Will folks be
able to contribute something to help Grant produce a monthly newsletter?

The bottom line is that without the support and contributions of the admins /
CLUEbies to the monthly newsletter, we will continue to neglect it and then I
will delete it in a few months.

So, as I said in the CLUE North post, 'ask not what your LUG can do for you,
but what you can do for your LUG.'

Later.
Jeff

P.S. Happy B-Day Lynn!