[CLUE-Admin] New hardware for web server.

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Tue Jul 16 11:01:42 MDT 2002

David Anselmi wrote:
> I'll help build it, especially if we want to use Debian.  Anyone want to
> discuss distros (practically, not religiously)?  Apt makes it very easy
> to get a minimal distro and stay current on packages (if we use the
> testing release).
>
> My impression is that rpm systems are harder, but I don't know from
> experience.  And I don't want to have to learn whatever the rpm distros
> call their install/upgrade tools.  I guess I've spent a few minutes
> learning apt though, so I may be biased.  I'd like to hear other points
> of view though.

 From what I've seen of apt, I agree that it makes package updating
packages pretty easy, once it's been properly setup and configured.
But I'm more familiar with RPMs then Deb packages and I think that
this will be true for most people in the forseeable future.

I won't argue against using Debian.  But I will suggest that we
consider using KRUD.  I think tummy.com would donate a subscription
to us if we asked them.  But I'm not sure how we would handle the
updates.  I don't think that tummy offers KRUD via ftp anymore.
So, it might require someone on site to install them.  If Techangle
has no objections, I'd volunteer to show up and handle this.

My two cents,

Lynn