[CLUE-Admin] Re: CLUE-Tech post from admin@clue.denver.co.us requires approval

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Mon Aug 4 21:30:49 MDT 2003

Lynn Danielson wrote:
> We're getting more and more mail like this, where folks are munging
> their email to look like it was sent from someone on our server.  In
> this case they were trying to post to clue-tech as admin and
> clue-tech-admin.  Since neither of these aliases are members of the
> list the spam didn't make it through, but it's bound to eventually. A
> couple of emails I received from "clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us" this
> weekend were quarantined as having viruses.
>
> I don't know how or if we can manage to avoid this crap, but if
> anyone has any suggestions, please speak up.  Perhaps this would be a
> better thread on clue-dev?

No, we're not an open relay (just tried it), at least not generally.

My feeling on this is that the mail server should refuse mail from
users at clue.denver.co.us that isn't generated locally.  Seems that exim
does that easily enough, don't know about the sendmail we're using.

I don't see any fix for Mailman trusting the From line though, other
than filtering before it gets to Mailman.