[CLUE-Admin] Re: CLUE-Tech post from admin@clue.denver.co.us requires approval

Dave Hahn dhahn at techangle.com
Tue Aug 5 09:07:14 MDT 2003

Perhaps a bit of clarification is in order:

If we have e-mail aliases that point, for instance,
lynn.danielson at clue... To lynnd at lynnshouse.com the clue related mail
server would automatically forward to lynnd at lynnshouse.com.  In this
case, Lynn should be allowed to relay via his ISPs smtp server and not
need to utilize the CLUE smtp server for outgoing mail.  The appropriate
addressing is reliant on Lynn's e-mail software to craft the headers
correctly.  Most e-mail software that allows multiple e-mail addresses
allows the user to select the sending account/personality from which to
address the e-mail.  So, in this case, no sending access to the CLUE
smtp server is required.  However, this does give, in the e-mail
headers, the hint that the mail did not originate from the CLUE server,
but was relayed through another SMTP server.  Although this is an item
of note, it is not, typically, a big deal.  However, in order to allow
outside users to relay via the CLUE smtp server (i.e. to correct the
"headers problem", the sender needs to (1) originate from a known IP
address or (2) authenticate to the server first.  A third option, albeit
more inconvenient, would be to allow sending from a web based solution
only.

Overall, we need to decide how we expect the e-mail aliases to be used.
I expect, the relaying via the users' ISP is the easiest.

-d