[CLUE-Admin] Memberships and email

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Fri Aug 15 22:06:02 MDT 2003

On Friday 15 August 2003 6:52 pm, Lynn Danielson wrote:
> And how to renew a membership.  I'm inclined to keep this simple
> as well and charge a flat $20 due every October meeting.

Doug and I spoke about setting up a DBA with the state for 'CLUE' and then
getting a CLUE checking account (all of the money is in one of my business
accounts right now).  The advantage is that when someone writes a check to
CLUE (like the other night), we can actually cash it ;)

We also talked about accepting PayPal payments for memberships.  Advantages:

1)  Automatic renewal (PayPal does monthly or annual subscriptions)
2)  Money goes directly to the yet-to-be-created CLUE account.
3)  We don't really lift a finger, other than about 1 hour worth of PayPal
setup; and adding a link from the CLUE site.
4)  Anyone can sign up without physically being at a meeting or worrying about
sending a check.

We would still accept cash or check, but I think many of the members will find
PayPal easier.  Some will refuse to use it, given past PayPal issues.  But,
since eBay bought PayPal, things are much cleaner.  The other issue is the
0.30 transaction fee, but that is minimal in my mind.

No decision yet, just adding to the discussion.  I'm in favor of it.