[CLUE-Admin] unusual server activity

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Fri Dec 5 11:06:02 MST 2003

Dave Hahn wrote:

> Depends on the FTP server - proftpd will run as a standalone service
> without (x)inetd.

But in proftp's case there's a seperate proftpd daemon, right?  WU-FTP
is what's installed on the old (current) CLUE server.  There's no standalone
daemon that I can find on the machine, only the in.ftpd program.  Making
this file nonexecutable did shutdown the ftp service on the machine, but
I don't understand why this was neccessary.  I verified that ftp wasn't
running on the machine a long time ago and haven't worried about it
since -- until now.  Do we need to make sure that any daemons we don't
want to use on the new server are actually set to be nonexecutable or is
disabling them in inetd (or xinetd) going to be sufficient?

Lynn