[CLUE-Admin] CVS loginfo and MailMan

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Dec 17 22:55:03 MST 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 06:09:06 -0700
David Anselmi <anselmi at americanisp.net> wrote:

> Finally, I'm not sure that CVSROOT/commitlog works.  The examples in the
> manual show absolute paths, so at least $CVSROOT/CVSROOT/commitlog.
> (There isn't any commitlog file so log.pl must be dying before line
> 102.)

Well, since it's opened with ">>", the file should get created if it
doesn't exist, as long as the directory exists. But, whether the relative
path works? I don't know because of ambiguity in the Coriolis book.
Certainly the absolute path is safer, and it's what's in the example lines
in loginfo (at least on my system).

One thing I'm finding curious though, is that in playing around here, I
note that apparently, stdout/stderr come back to the client. The RH
implementation has log.pl named just "log". So, when I set this up, it
didn't work, and I get:

Checking in bashrc;
/home/cvs/thekeep/theproj/bashrc,v  <--  bashrc
done
sh: line 1: /usr/share/cvs/contrib/log.pl: No such file or directory
cvs [server aborted]: received broken pipe signal
cvs commit: saving log message in /tmp/cvsz2Z6eT

But, I got no such messages when commiting to the site_devel project at
CLUE. However ...

/me does another commit, and waits for sendmail

w00t!

Apparently, CVS handles quoting the %s string, so it isn't necessary in
the loginfo incantation.

So, AFAICT, three things need to happen.

 + Make log.pl executable
 + put /path/to/perl on the shebang line
 + use $CVSROOT/CVSROOT/commitlog for log path (or whatever absolute path
is appropriate)

(No, I didn't actually test with log.pl non-executable, or relative
pathing for the log file.)

http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/