[CLUE-Admin] Re: CLUE North CVS access

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue May 20 22:16:38 MDT 2003

I felt it was time to put this on the admin list. Uh, eventually over to
CLUE-Dev, maybe, but for now I feels more administrative.

Lynn Danielson <lynnd at techangle.com> wrote:

[snipping stuff re CVS accounts for North web admins]

> I think letting [CLUE-North] have control
> over their portion of the web page is important.

Well, I don't know. Yes, they should maintain their own content. A
seperate page (doc tree?) is a different issue though. There is already a
disparity in the "Nav" section. I've found one broken link so far (a
relative URL problem). If common links change, they now need to be changed
in two places.

---Jed sez:

> >I had the idea, related, that we might want to set up a loginfo CVS
> >script for doing notifications when the site gets updated. It's not a
> >big deal, but it would give everyone who's involved a sort-of "heads
> >up" that they need to do a cvs update before changing/commiting.
> >Whether we'd want to make that a new mailing list, or if it's worth the
> >trouble?

Actually, I've decided I want this. Reason being I got an e-mail from a
guy volunteering to update the "calendar". I hadn't heard anything about
Paul Bille stepping aside. Turns out, it was in response to a note on the
North page looking for a web update volunteer (hence the above). Even if
it's just me getting the e-mails. I can set it up (plagiarize from the
Coriolis book), but I don't know if my account has permissions on the CVS
repository. I think at the least I need to have a way of knowing if
"webmaster" shows up as the contact for something, so I can respond
intelligently.

> If you do a checkout before you make any changes it should take care of
> most "update" issues.
> That's my solution at any rate.  It wouldn't hurt to have the change
> notification, especially for
> you (or the webmaster).

Actually, if you do a checkout, you get the whole thing. If you do "cvs
update" you get only changes. Uses less bandwidth.

---Jed again:

> >I actually don't think the current "North" arrangement is the best. I
> >think North should get equal billing on the main page. I have an idea
> >-- not fully formed -- for a way to do this easily, but I'm actually
> >not in the mood to think about it right now. I'll throw it up to the
> >CLUE-Dev list soon, though, I think.
>
> I'm not necessarily against this, but the ramifications effect more than
> the main page, don't they?
> Do we combine the volunteers, presentation pages and the rest as well?

The volunteer page is currently shared. And having the main page contain
the latest North meeting info wouldn't be that tough to do. There are only
two links on the North main page which are different from the CLUE main
page -- "presentations" and "meeting info". Accomodating this on the main
CLUE page would be easily done in the North nav section, and a space for
their meeting announcement.

> I think initially we wanted to
> see CLUE-North stand on their own.  I think that Crawford and Gus have
> shown a commitment
> to keep the group going, but they're struggling for attendance at this
> point.  (Only 6 attendee's,
> not including the speakers, were at the last meeting.)  Giving them
> equal exposure on our main page
> might help them out, but I'm not convinced that's the best way to go for
> us.  I'd be happy to listen to
> your ideas on implementating this.  You might easily be able to make a
> believer out of me.

I guess I don't know what is meant by "stand on their own". Nor do I see
how including more info about North on the CLUE main page dimishes the
North meetings, or, to be honest, what the benefit of having a
./north/index.html file is, as opposed to including more North info on the
CLUE main page. Or is there more to North than just another meeting
time/place?

I'm working at the moment (short-term), but I should be able to put forth
something cogent in the way of ideas over the weekend. Probably on
CLUE-Dev.

I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl