[CLUE-Admin] A Spam Which Raises Questions

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Apr 19 17:18:54 MDT 2004

Hi Folks -- especially you gnarly mail admin types.

I got this spam today, and a few things impress me as odd.

[ snipping out lots of idle and incorrect speculation ]

OTOH, thinking some more, it would have originally been sent to
clue-dev-admin at clue.denver.co.us (I'm testing this now). But this still
represents a similar problem. In this case, my question then becomes how
to configure mailman to simply drop invalid admin interface requests. I
looked through the config screens, but didn't see anything like that. I
understand the idea behind forward such to the list admin, but that's just
a micrososm of the overall spam problem and SMTP being "too trusting".

Oops. Part of what I snipped out is that this gets through my ISP's spam
filtering (I'm assuming) because I've setup "*@clue.denver.co.us" as an
"accept" condition for the "From:" header (but I'm guessing their
documentation is wrong, and it works for other headers as well).

Further oops. I see that the admin interface address would be (?)
clue-dev-request. So now I really wonder why mailman is processing this
e-mail, or if it would be easy to have it not do so, and thus not add the
"Sender:" header, which is what I'm guessing is giving it a free pass past
my spam filtering. (I'm giving up, for this e-mail anyway, waiting for a
response to my e-mail to clue-dev-request.)

Yeah, I know, I could download the mailman docs and RTFM, but I'm hoping
some has enough knowledge on-hand to just know what, if anything, might be
done to help this situation out.

TIA.
jed