[clue-admin] Spam Routing Question: Why didn't it just bounce?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Dec 15 20:24:53 MST 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:53:39 -0700
David Anselmi wrote:

> Could it be that the To: line is forged and the envelope address was to
> you or the list?
>
> Did you look through the postfix and mailman logs?  They should record
> the message being received, delivered to mailman, and then sent to you.
>   Maybe there will be some other clues.

Yeah, OK. The To: header is forged. I tested by sending a mail directly to
clue-dev-admin, and I get the same result -- Mailman (or something which
looks suspiciously like it) sends the message to clue-dev-owner, whence it
comes to me.

Well, one thing is, the "admin" variants of the mailing list addresses
should be live, shouldn't they? (Well, obviously they're being handled.)

I'm trying to visualize a path here, and the only thing that makes sense
is that Mailman is attempting to handle the "admin" address, but wherever
it's trying to forward it isn't working. IOW, the command 'mailman admin
clue-dev' is either failing, or misbehaving.

Guess I'll let this simmer for a while.

http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/