[clue-admin] Spam Routing Question: Why didn't it just bounce?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Dec 16 10:46:22 MST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:17:22 -0700
Jed S. Baer wrote:

> Well, what Mailman does is send out a message which starts out, "The
> attached message was received as a bounce, ...", when what it sends is
> the message which it sent out to the list, resulting in a bounce.

Oops. Sorry -- some baggage there due to Mailmain using the "bounce" term.
This has nothing, AFAICT, with a message going to the list and bouncing.
In fact, I cannot deduce why mailman thinks a bounce has occurred.

I spent some time last night looking through /var/log/maillog, and
couldn't find a RCPT 550 type message indicating that any actual SMTP
bounce occurred at all. Now I could have missed it. But I really think
that this is just odd behavior on the part of Mailman.

http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/