[clue-admin] User setup for "member" accounts

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Dec 29 10:06:23 MST 2004

Jed S. Baer wrote:
[...]
> Unless there's a real need for member accounts to have more access, I
> think they should get the minimum privs they need to update their
> websites, and, I suppose maybe read e-mail using pine or mutt (I don't
> recall what's on the box now for CLI e-mail reading). And that means
> restricted shell, done properly. Since I've never set up chroot jails, I
> don't know if that's going to far, or easily automated once we know how,
> or what.

The first step in this discussion should be to identify what users can
and can't do (programmers call those requirements, don't they Jeff?).
We want to give members web pages, so a way to upload pages seems
necessary.  If that's all that's promised, I'd not give them a shell at all.

Next is to identify risks and apply countermeasures until the risks are
acceptible.  For example:

If you want to prevent weak passwords, require public key authentication
(not that hard compared to managing passwords, and perhaps good training
for members who have never used ssh before).

If you allow a shell, are you worried about members exploiting it?  I
know a security guy who says if you give him a shell you've given him
root (i.e., there's sure to be a local root exploit).  So to prevent
members from getting root you have to limit the commands they use (seems
that to do that with rbash is equivalent to doing it with chroot though
it might be a little easier conceptually).

So let's get some requirements, design a solution, and get it reviewed
by the gurus.