[clue-admin] User setup for "member" accounts

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Thu Dec 30 17:16:22 MST 2004

On Thursday 30 December 2004 11:13 am, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
> > 1. Maintaining email aliases. Just as we don't provide login accounts
> > for members, I recomment that we NOT provide an external means to
> > update the aliases file. We can provide an online form that submits a
> > request to the appropriate admin (or group of admins).
>
> Easily enough handled with the existing contact form. Request goes to the
> sysadmin or membership e-mail, and I can even toss in a generated subject
> line, but that's just frosting on the cake.

Perhaps I should have defined specifically what I meant by 'setting their
email alias'.  I wasn't precise.

I meant to say that we should 'allow users to change the forwarding address of
their clue.denver.co.us email address without sys admin intervention'.

For example:

0.  A new member signs up.

1.  Sys Admin creates an email alias:  FirstName.LastName at clue.denver.co.us.
   (No user would be allowed to change the emaili alias of FirstName.LastName)

2.  We set the alias to their desired forwarding email address - e.g. aliases
file entry like:

FirstName.LastName:	joe_user at example.com

3.  We have some means for Joe User to change his forwarding address from
joe_user at example.com to joe at another_example.com.  This would *automatically*
update the aliases file.

I think this would be easier on the system admin.  In addition, I'm sure
you've all used ISP accounts that allow authenticated users to change
forwarding email addresses.

Another thing I thought of is : what are we going to do about removing
forwarding addresses that are no longer valid?

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on the member features and implementations.  I
think the result will be a better user experience.

Jeff

- --
"Science can purify religion from error and superstition. Religion can purify
science from idolatry and false absolutes."
- - Pope John Paul II

http://isuma.org/