[CLUE-Admin] Anonymous CVS Access

Grant Johnson grant at amadensor.com
Mon Feb 16 10:39:50 MST 2004

CLUE President wrote:

>On Saturday 24 January 2004 3:13 pm, Jed S. Baer wrote:
>

>>>and I bet it will work.
>>>

>>Yep, it does. I was able to checkout files, but commit was denied.
>>

>Yes, because we're not allowing anonymous commit -- anonymous is in the
>readers file - which makes it a read-only account.
>
>We intended that folks who want commit access would have to talk to the
>webmaseter to get it.
>
>Jeff

One thing I have done here, to allow all of the developers commit (we
have 40 or so) but still allow some administrative control on what goes
to the various environments is using tags.  We have environment tags.
This allows any named user (not anonymous) to commit changes so that
other developers can see and use them , but allows us to control what
goes into out prod, qa , and if we want, even shared dev environment
(for integration testing).

If you want this code, you can have a copy.  It would you more freely
give out cvs commit access, while keep an admin control on what goes to
the actual website.  The website then becomes just another sandbox.  In
our case, all of these sandboxes are checked out as anonymous to preven
any changes made in shared environments (where everyone would be the CVS
id) are not committed.  In dev, we have even cron'ed our updates with a
-C to overlay those changes.