[CLUE-Admin] mailman list admin

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Jan 10 14:54:07 MST 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:25:23 -0700
CLUE President <president at clue.denver.co.us> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I am the admin for the majority of the clue email lists.  Spam is a
> growing problem.  I get anywhere from 20 - 50 messages per day which
> must be manually deleted via the mailman web interface from the pending
> queue.
> This cron job will purge pending messages from the pending queues of all
> lists.  Unfortunately, some legitimate posts will be lost.  In my
> experience, a tiny fraction of posts by non-subscribers (less than 1% of
> such posts) are legitimate.  For example, in the past 6 months, I have
> authorized only about 12 legitimate posts by non-subscribers.  So, I
> thought this was a small price to pay.

Ah, well that explains why I got 3 "message approval" e-mails, but the
admin interface said there were no pending requests. While I recognize the
improvement auto-purging them is, it doesn't quite "play well" with the
rest of the system.

My question is whether it would simply be easier to configure mailman to
auto-discard any messages not from subscribers. I've been on the verge of
configuring the clue-dev list that way, because I've encountered only 1
legitimate message there since I've been responsible for it.

Either way, I also suggest a message to each list mentioning the change,
since, as you've mentioned before, some people do occasionally post from a
different identity than the one they used to subscribe.

http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/