[CLUE-Admin] webserver maintenence notes

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Mar 31 14:02:29 MST 2004

Today I'm hoping to get Webalizer reporting referers properly. And also do
some other web maintenance I've discovered.

I compressed the old logfiles.
Changed the logfile format and restarted the webserver.
Started a new logfile, and ran webalizer on the previous one.

I was hoping to integrate monthly runs of webalizer with log rotations,
but can't find any evidence, other than /var/log/messages is a small file,
that logrotate is running.

My basic idea is to run webalizer in conjunction with a monthly web log
rotation. Webalizer would be configured to run in "incremental" mode, and
would run on the most recent rotated logfile, as part of the postrotate
command set.

My only hesitation is that I don't want to stomp on something I haven't
discovered.

My "least likely to stomp" option is to put a logrotate command into
/var/spool/cron/root, the logrotate conf file for Apache logs in
/var/apache/conf, and tell the "rogue" logrotate command to use that conf
file. But I hate to put non-standard processing into the mix. This is
mitigated by the upcoming migration to the new server, though (isn't it),
where, presumably, normal logrotate processing is running (I thought I'd
check, but I can't ssh to the new box @216.38.34.198 -- has its address
changed? Can't ping it either.)

Any thoughts?

http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/