[clue-admin] [Fwd: Re: [NCLUG] CLUE InstallFest, 12 Feb 2005]

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 11:33:30 MST 2005

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:15:39 -0700, Gus S. Calabrese <gsc at omegadogs.com> wrote:

> Some people brought in install problems that were insanely
> convoluted and involved computers from WWII.  I don't know
> whether such people should be supported.

My opinion: turn no one away, even with old hardware. There's no
guarantee that we can help them, but it's worth a try. I wound up
helping out with a modem setup, and I haven't worked with a modem in 5
years.

> Newbie newbies (Nn) require special handling and they probably
> don't care a whit ( as Dave said ) about the glories of Linux.
> They want to word process, use a printer  and use Linux because
> it is cheap and the evil BG does not control it.

Yep, and more power to them.

>  From this I concluded that Newbies require a special environment were
> they
> can feel like they do not have to "be smart".  Also, newbies are not
> going to be fun for someone discussing how to set up a VPN or recompile
> a kernel.

Pardon my opinion, but I don't expect to get very many like this.
Recompiling a kernel is one of those daunting but basically simple
tasks that even newbies can learn. The only special environment that
Newbies need is willingness to work at their level, and granted not
all of our gurus have the ability to step back from the exalted level
they have reached to deal with rank amateurs.

> I think Newbie classes can be segregated from advanced installations or
> projects.  And perhaps the club should benefit from doing these classes.
> Perhaps a small donation ( voluntary ) to fill the club treasury.
>
> there are some Linux aficionados that would like to teach about
> button pushing for e-mail , etc.  One gentleman said he would like
> very much to teach about open office for Linux.
>
> So my suggestions are :    ( and they are suggestions )
> keep installfest and describe it as help installing Linux on working
> machines that not more than 5 years old.  Bring machine that has
> at least 64M of memory, CD drive, internet connection.

As I said earlier, I would not turn anyone away, and the WWII relics
are going to be few in number anyway.

> Set up classes for newbies in Basic Linux, e-mail, open office etc.

Yep.

> Look at endorsing a low cost computer that has a Linux distro optimized
> for it.   Does anyone do this now ?  this endorsement can change as
> better hardware comes along.

Perhaps work with a local vendor to provide boxes that meet the specs.
The big-box stores are not going to provide Window-less computers, but
the smaller shops load their own boxes, so getting a box with no OS
installed should not be a problem. IMO, there's no need to have a
Linux distro optimized for it, since 99% of distros will install on
99% of the hardware these days.

--
 Collins