[clue-admin] SpamAssassin for mailman

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Sun Feb 20 12:51:09 MST 2005

On Sunday 20 February 2005 9:52 am, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 04:08:38 -0700
>
> Jeff Cann wrote:
> > I finally got around to configuring SpamAssassin to auto filter incoming
> > messages to mailman lists.  Note that current spam already gets held for
> > moderation.  The goal of using SpamAssassin is to kill spam before it
> > goes to list moderation queue.
>
> Unintended Consequences?
>
> I just received:
>
> As list administrator, your authorization is requested for the
> following mailing list posting:
>
>     List:    CLUE-dev at clue.denver.co.us
>     From:    infor at valuecashonline.com
>     Subject: The Big "O"
>     Reason:  SpamAssassin identified this message as possible spam (score
> 5.2)

Jed.

Here's the intent of using SpamAssassin in mailman:  To handle this [spam]
problem, I wrote some patches to integrate the SpamAssassin spam filtering
software with Mailman. With this patch, the majority of the spam sent to the
list can be discarded without intervention by the moderator.

 + http://www.jamesh.id.au/articles/mailman-spamassassin/

So, I think either 1)  his patch is not working like we expect or 2) I need to
tweak the scoring of messages so they are simply discarded, rather than held
for approval.  I think #2 is the explanation.  The default scores I have to
hold for moderation are low, so I can bump them up.

As far as the conflict between your setting to drop all moderated messages and
this spam assassin integration - the spam assassin should supercede this
option as the scoring should work to discard real spam and send legitimate
requests to the hold queue.

I'll tweak the scores and watch the results.  I did have a lot of spam and a
lot of ham to seed the Bayesian databases for each list.

Let me know if you continue to receive spurious results.  FWIW - I haven't
seen any moderation messages come through for the other lists.

Jeff
- --
"Science can purify religion from error and superstition. Religion can purify
science from idolatry and false absolutes."
- - Pope John Paul II

http://isuma.org/