[clue-admin] SpamAssassin for mailman

Ronald Kuetemeier ronald at kuetemeier.com
Tue Feb 22 11:16:35 MST 2005

Hi Guys,
sorry couldn't make to the meeting.
Anyhow, if you are interested to cut down on incoming spam traffic
before it hits spamassassin.  I use a program I wrote last year which
looks at the connection behavior from connecting servers, at the packet
level.  Basically how fast a server tries and retries to connect in  a
given time frame,  after my firewall plays dead.
Got my spam down to an avg of 1 in 2 days.
Don't know if you can use it, since I also use a white list for mail
from people/servers I know to get mail from.
Grey list is controlled by my program, delays basically incoming mail
and most bots give up or are never allowed to connect since they do not
behave like a mail server while trying to open a connection to my
server. It also cuts out those nasty stealth monitoring programs that
some spammers seem to use.
Black list for really stupid people/servers, they will not even be
considered for the grey  list.

Anyhow if you are interested I can cook up some docs and put it under
the GPL. I keep the program mostly to myself since there is a way for
spammers  to get around it, but as long as only a few people use it it's
not worth their effort.
BTW, needs iptables and dnotify, i.e. 2.[4,6] kernel and "some"
knowledge on how to setup and change a Linux setup and firewall rules.
Also requires Berkeley DB. Since my firewall setup is so old and stable
I had to link db and libc statically from my dev machine. I use
logrotate and haven't looked at it for month, in other words seems to be
pretty stable.

Hope none of the Denver area spammers read this.

Ronald