[clue-admin] CLUE server issues update

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Wed Jun 29 13:07:42 MDT 2005

Due to issues with the T1 via Covad (not related to the CLUE server in
particular), Linux ETC will be migrating over to Qwest (they worked out
a deal...otherwise, I would not have gone for them personally).  In
particular is an odd diminished bandwidth of the T1 that has occurred
since April at random and for unknown reasons (we went from 1.5M to 200k
for several days initially in April).  There will be a static IP
available for the CLUE box as part of this migration.

This migration will be happening in July slowly.  What I can do as a
side thought to test things out is to re-do the CLUE server iptables
with "DROP" as defaults and open up ports one by one.  The list I have
initially are 25, 21212 (ssh), 25000 (webmin),   This might further
assist with the email issues.  Plan B would be to put it out in front of
our firewall there without any iptables (save defaults are "ACCEPT") and
build them up that way, then have those tables mimicked on Linux ETC's
firewall.  However, during this part, the box is completely open to
various web bot attacks and scans.

On tripwire, it seems it was never configured initially, just installed.
For the interm, I removed the package via yum.  This will stop the
cron.daily routine that checks tripwire and sends the root aliases that
lovely daily email complaining about it.  If one of the other CLUE-
Admins knows how to rig tripwire, by all means...do so.

On the server itself, there is a new(er) kernel available for Fedora
which I have not installed.  All of the other updated packages per "yum
check-update" have been brought up to par for the time being.

Finally, Sean R. and Evelyn of tummy.com have also offered to host the
email list on the "community" side of tummy (where NCLUG and Boulder LUG
are) when they were at the CLUE-North meeting this past Monday.  It is a
viable alternative to consider.

Thoughts and comments are welcomed on the above.  For reference, I
receive the CLUE-xxx email lists in digest form, so pardon any delayed

--- Crawford
--
The Linux ETC Company
368 South McCaslin Boulevard