[clue-admin] CVS pserver access

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Mar 15 18:17:54 MST 2005

Jeff Cann wrote:
> On Monday 14 March 2005 9:45 pm, Jed S. Baer wrote:
>> And, at the moment, I need to do a little studying to figure out
>> how to allow commit access to the development area without allowing
>> commit to production anyway, but that's a tangent.
>
> After learning about this for a project at work, I decided to use the 'cvs
> export' command to build 'production' releases.  The advantage is that the
> export is not a cvs sandbox and thus no one could commit changes to it.

I've done this before and liked it.  Back then I'd tag the correct
version (the one QA had signed off on) and export that tag to a build
system.

Currently for a small web site I'm rsyncing between my sandbox and the
server, with a check to ensure that everything is checked in before it
will sync.  Since I'm the only user the HEAD tag is all I really use.  I
could export or update to a "production" sandbox just as well.

The difference is how close you can make CVS look like production.  For
my little HTML site they match so direct rsync is good.  For a bigger
Java site, everything had to be compiled and packaged first.

HTH,