[clue-admin] file cleanup on clue server, yum, wiki access

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Mar 24 12:29:28 MST 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:26:14 -0700
Robert Harper wrote:

> Looks like / on the cluedenver sever is at 95%.  I did some checking on
> what we could delete or compress and found the following:

I cleaned out the moderation queues for all the mailing lists. I see no
change in disk utilization, but maybe there's a cron job which hasn't run
yet which will clear out any "marked for delete" messages, so I'll try to
remember to look again later tonight and tomorrow.

I have a few more suggestions.

Solicit volunteers to moderate the mailing lists. No reason one person
(meaning Jeff, I think) should have to deal with 5 or 6 mailing lists. Is
Collins the moderator for CLUE-Members? Can we get one of the members of
CLUE-Cert to moderate that list? If we can get to the point where each
moderator is responsible for only one list, then the burden should be
pretty small, provided the moderator checks the list once every day or
two.

Set up a cron job to remove tripwire reports which are more than n days
old -- maybe 1 week. A script to do this would be:

#!/bin/bash
cd {tripwire report directory}
find . -ctime +7 -exec rm {} \;

Since tripwire reports are cumulative, there's no reason to keep old ones
around, provided they've been examined and any issues dealt with. As long
as there aren't any unexpected file changes, the main use of tripwire
reports is for updating the tripwire database, or for determining changes
to the policy file.

Unless anyone objects, I'll implement this, with a 7-day window.

Maybe we could solicit the CLUE membership for a donation of a hard drive.
I know that if I had a few extra bucks laying around, I'd be buying a
larger HD for my home system, thus freeing up a 30GB drive. Makes me
wonder whether any CLUEbies might have an extra HD laying around. A
qualification I'd suggest is we ask for something at least 10GB,
preferably 20GB. This would allow us to use it for imaging the /
filesystem, and creating a nice big partition for /var. Or, an 80GB
Seagate is about $55 (Source: compuplus.com).

http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E