[clue-admin] file cleanup on clue server, yum, wiki access

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Mar 24 16:16:25 MST 2005

Jed S. Baer wrote:
[...]
> The principal problem is spam.

I'm guessing the data dir Bob mentioned is a queue mail goes in while
it's being filtered.  Is that right?

> Until we can get a handle on automating
> that, it'll be a fight. While I do think Spamassassin is a good solution,
> it has shown itself to be a little bit finicky. Should we consider simply
> blackholing some spamming address blocks?

If you're going to add to the spam processing, I'd add greylisting first
(in fact, if I ever add spam filtering to my mail server greylisting
will come before spam assassin).  Here's some info about spam in general:

http://slett.net/spam-filtering-for-mx/

and Sean Reifschneider has some interesting bits at

http://www.tummy.com/journals/

There's also Barb Dijker's presentation on greylisting at:

http://fruug.org/Archive/2004-11/writeup.html

(there was a guy who supposedly had a "good" list of blacklisting
services--maybe Barb or Sean would contribute some config advice to CLUE).

> I understand that the downside is that it makes our mailing lists
> less open, but I think we ought to be able to find some balance here.
> The other thing to do is buy a big hard drive and mount /var on it.

Seems to me the downside is hands on management of the blacklists.
Maybe it's easier than I think.  But I saw an add for a 250GB drive for
$100, too.