[clue-admin] Mailman config change --> canning spam

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Mar 24 23:31:00 MST 2005

Jeff Cann wrote:
[...]
> 1)  Hold all messages for moderation by non-members.
> 2)  Rather than running *every* message through spam assassin, only run spam
> assassin on the moderated ones.
> 3)  Anyone moderated messages that pass spam assassin could be legitimate
> posts, so they remain in the moderation queue.

Mailman notifies the sender when it holds a message, right?  So for our
lists reviewing the queue seems pointless.  We need to make sure that
replies to spam don't stick around too long (since they presumably can't
be delivered).

> The bottom line :  As a group should we try to moderate non-member posts?  If
> we really don't care to, then playing around with spam tools [or grey lists]
> or whatever is a waste of time.

If you can solve the problem without greylisting, go for it.  But
greylisting seems pretty easy, pretty maintenance free, and pretty
foolproof (well, till the spammers work around it), especially compared
to spamassassin.  And it has the advantage of postfix dropping many
spams before they're on the box, rather than mailman dropping them after
they're taking up space.