[clue-admin] More server security stuff

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Mar 27 12:59:34 MST 2005

Jed S. Baer wrote:
[...]
> service ssh
> {
>          socket_type = stream
>          wait = no
>          user = root
>          server = /usr/sbin/sshd
>          #It's not listed in my /etc/services
>          port = 22
>          server_args = -i
>          log_on_failure = ATTEMPT HOST RECORD
> # begin "throttling" section
>     instances = 10  # max instances of the server
>     per_source = 3 # max per IP address
>     cps = 10 30 # connections per second, reset after 30
>     access_times = 06:00-23:59 00:00-01:00
> }
>
> My concern is that the script kiddies or crackers can succeed in shutting
> down legitimate access to the machine by continuing to beat on sshd.

Then you need to boost instances (perhaps to 30 or 60).  Right now they
seem to need 4 different IPs doing the beating.  30 would mean they'd
need 10.

> I found no xinetd options which specifically limit, as Greg's quote put it
> "consecutive connections per host".

That's what per_source does, doesn't it?

I guess that with the above you'll still see log entries.  I moved my
SSH servers off port 22 and they haven't been scanned since (Jafo's
idea, not mine).