[clue-admin] Website Publishing

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sun Nov 20 12:25:10 MST 2005

Hi Folks.

I should have new web publishing scripts finished later today. Due to
structural changes in the website directory tree, it turns out that the
easiest solution for publishing will be to move the document root one or
two levels deeper in the /var/www structure. The thinking here follows
what I'd done in the past, which is that the "html" directory is actually
a symbolic link to the current website. When changes are published, the
whole site gets exported into a new directory, and the symbolic link gets
changed to point to that. This makes the actuall switch a sort of atomic
operation.

When I initially put up the new site, I just worked around the directory
structure. I could embody the same workaround by segmenting the cvs export
in the publishing script, but this would make failure a less easily
fixable situation. By using a single symbolic link, switching the link is
the last step of the publishing process. So if anything fails prior to
that, the website is unaffected. By publishing in steps for the different
"top level" directories (config, public_html, etc.), a failure at one
point could possibly leave the website in a broken state.

It appears that changing the Apache DocumentRoot won't break anything
except having the Apache Manual online, which we really don't need to do
on the CLUE server, and Apache's error directory, which it appears I can
fix easily with another directive.

http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E