[clue-admin] Re: Server Slow Over SSH?

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 20:34:06 MDT 2005

On 9/30/05, Jed S. Baer <thag at frii.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 07:25:25 -0700
> Greg Knaddison wrote:
>
> > Any chance you can repeat it and look at memfree/swap usage and
> > IOWAIT?
>
> If I could repeat it, then I wouldn't have any comm going to issue
> commands to do that.

Oh, that slow of an ssh connection?  Yikes.

> Guess I could fork off a background process to log stuff for about 10
> minutes or so. Hmmm, what would those commands be?

I once had a performance problem that showed up between midnight and
2:00 am at different times each night.  I ran a command similar to the
following every minute from cron.  It's not much of a performance hit
and pointed at in my case that yep, it was a program problem and not a
system problem :)

top -b -n 1 | head -5 >> /var/tmp/somelogfile.txt

In case you aren't familiar with it, that gives you the output of top
just once (rather than running interactively) and does it just once
and takes the system status information from the top of it and dumps
it in a temp file.

For me, that gives this output:

top - 20:29:46 up 20 days,  2:10,  2 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00
Tasks:  70 total,   2 running,  68 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  0.4% us,  0.1% sy, 99.4% ni,  0.0% id,  0.0% wa,  0.1% hi,  0.0% si
Mem:    645240k total,   607412k used,    37828k free,   115484k buffers
Swap:  1310712k total,      160k used,  1310552k free,   289304k cached

Within that is all of the information I mentioned about swap, io wait
(I think the "wa" or "hi" or "si" show that), and the memory
free/used.  My box is a CentOS4 so it should be similar args/output to
the FC Clue server.

Greg