[clue-admin] Server Slow Over SSH?

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Fri Sep 30 12:05:08 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 12:00 -0600, clue-admin-request at cluedenver.org
wrote:
> Hi Folks.
>
> This is a bit odd. I'm currently trying to run a cvs update over ssh.
> It
> ran fine through the first few directories, because nothing has been
> changed. But the change I know about, which is why I'm running the
> update
> for my local copy, is that I ssh'd into the CLUE server to snag Dave
> Rudder's presentation slides using wget, and commited the change from
> my
> account up there. Seemed it'd be faster than downloading them to my
> machine, and then uploading them to the CLUE server. So now my cvs
> update
> is hung on the presentations directory.
>
> Well, being the curious sort that I am, I ssh'd into the server from
> another terminal to run top, just out of curiosity. It took a while to
> come up, and showed the CPU at 99% idle. The website responds just
> fine.
> So at first blush, it appears that anything running over ssh is
> affected.
>
> Looks as if Jeff Cann is logged in too. Hey Jeff, you noticing
> anything?
> (Around 9PM)
>
> jed

What time is/was this Jed?  There is a slight network issue with some
servers, but I did not think the CLUE server network was getting some of
the "lag" that we have noticed recently on the other ends of the network
(CLUE server is on our "Orange" network for reference; most of the other
troubles are on the "Green" network).

Thanks.

--- Crawford
--