[clue-admin] Backups

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sun Feb 26 09:37:54 MST 2006

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 22:05:55 -0700
David L. Anselmi wrote:

> Do we have docs on our current scheme?  It might be interesting to
> design something new and compare the pros and cons.

No docs that I can find. The script is pretty well self-explanatory
though. Our simplistic thinking was that we don't need a lot of
complexity, and so just a weekly tar (I think it's weeky) of critical
files would be sufficient. We were talking about offsite backups, and
discussed perhaps using removable media as well, although the latter would
require someone to swap media once a week. We figured that one or more
people with high-speed connections could probably just mirror the tarball
once a week, and that rsynch might be an easy way to do that -- i.e. it'd
notice that a new backup file has been added, and pull it down. A
once-a-week synch of the backup directory wouldn't be much of a strain on
network usage. (Compared to, e.g. downloading ISOs)  IIRC, we figured that
more complexity, such as differential backups, was not warranted for our
needs right now. Just for fun, I gzipped one of the backup files, and it
dropped from 75 to 60MB; bzip2 produces similar results.

Looking at the backup dir again, I see that it doesn't look as if
logrotate would be useful for automatically deleteing old backup files.
Something similar to tmpwatch would do it, though.

http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E