[clue-admin] KISS Session ---> Desktop Linux 101

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 15:43:55 MST 2006

Over beers last night, Todd Trichler suggested a good idea for the languishing
KISS sessions.  In his extensive experience as a Linux evangelist Todd told
us that to open our meetings to a wider [newbie] audience, we should focus on
how to get people from Windows to Linux.  The folks at the table agreed and
I'm putting it out to the admin list for comments.

The idea is to develop a list of desktop tutorial items for a series of KISS
sessions.  For example, we could spend 4 sessions going through each of the
Open Office 2 apps (Writer, Impress, Calc, Base).  One session could be 'Tour
of KDE' another 'Tour of GNOME'.  So rather than focusing on specific
command-line items (as we have done in the past), we want to focus on what
most users do with computers - word processing, email, etc.

Todd's other point is that Oracle employees are interested in CLUE, but have
found the meetings too technical for a Linux newbie.  We had 4 or 5 brand-new
people last night and at least 3 were bowled over by the VPN discussion
(which was technical for sure).  His idea of the desktop training is meant to
help bring people in and give them something to take home and use
immediately.

Todd will come up with the list of sessions and then we'll ask for people to
volunteer for them.  It would be excellent if we can use a similar
presentation template, and then publish the list of slides / notes on the
CLUE home page.

I think we should change the name of the KISS session to something like 'Linux
Training for Windows Users' or 'Desktop Linux 101' so it better reflects the
content.

As an adjunct to the Desktop Linux series, I think we should have a pile of
the runnable versions kbuntu and/or ubuntu disks for newbies every month (or
Knoppix).

The other item that came up last night is the DTC meeting start time.  I asked
Jed to change the web site to reflect a 7 pm start time since we are
struggling for KISS speakers.  However, upon a vote by last night's meeting
attendees, we will go back to the 6:30 pm start time.  If there is a nights
when there is not a KISS session, we'll have impromptu networking and Q&A
until 7 pm.

I appreciate any other suggestions and comments.  Please post to this thread.

Thanks,
Social justice cannot be attained by violence.
Violence kills what it intends to create.
   - Pope John Paul II