[clue-admin] SCPonly

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Nov 24 11:22:07 MST 2006

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Just tossing this out so it'll be "bookmarked" in the admin archives.
>
> http://sublimation.org/scponly/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

This is funny:

"This allows an administrator to share files in the same way an anon ftp
setup would, only employing all the protection that ssh provides. This
is especially significant if you consider that ftp authentications
traverse public networks in a plaintext format."

Anonymous FTP isn't authenticated so it doesn't need the protections SSH
provides.  The data is public so it doesn't need encryption.  And SSH
doesn't protect against traffic analysis, which is the only other thing
you might care about.

Obviously if you are doing authentication SSH is good stuff.  But then
it isn't anonymous.

OK, OK, it was funny to me.  So maybe a display of my twisted sense of
humor is funny to you. :-)