Fwd: Re: [clue-admin] rsync snapshot backup script

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Wed Feb 7 09:10:27 MST 2007

Sorry, I hit enter, and it sent before I could finish the addressing.
I can get you all of the scripts I use if you like.

----- Forwarded message from grant at amadensor.com -----
     Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 16:08:48 +0000
     From: grant at amadensor.com
  Subject: Re: [clue-admin] rsync snapshot backup script
       To: Jeff Cann <jccann at gmail.com>

Quoting Jeff Cann <jccann at gmail.com>:

>      # step 1: delete the oldest snapshot, if it exists:
>      if [ -d $SNAPSHOT_RW/hourly.3 ] ; then                  \
>      $RM -rf $SNAPSHOT_RW/hourly.3 ;                         \
>      fi ;
I actually just name them with a time/date as part of the directory
name.   Then I am able to just pick one to delete based on the oldest,
or not delete if i choose.   I can easily turn off deletions to allow
the backlog to grow, or leave it on to keep the same number of backups.

Additionally, I make a copy using hard links (recursive) to make it so
that only modified files are overwritten.   I end up with backups that
look like the whole file system as on any backup, but only take the
space of an incremental.