[clue-admin] Remote backups using rsync over ssh

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 20:21:08 MST 2007

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Hi Folks.
>
> I have successfully run a remote backup of some directories on the CLUE
> server using rsync over ssh. The process is partially documented on the
> CLUE project wiki.
>
> Directories I am doing:
>   /var/www
>   /var/cvs
>   /etc
>   /var/lib/mailman/archives/private

Jed,

FYI - All you need to restore mailman is two sets of files, one set for
each list:

/var/lib/mailman/lists/*/config.pck      <==== list config data,
including subscriber list, one for each list
var/lib/mailman/archives/private/*.mbox  <===== email file for each list

The archive html pages can be easily regenerated from the .mbox

I tested this restore on during this server rebuild and it worked
great.  You can change the backup script to exclude everything else if
you want to save on bandwidth.

It actually cut down my time to recreate everything to 30 minutes.  Used
to take 2-3 hours [because I was redoing too many things out of ignorance].