[clue-admin] Future Hosting Plans

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Dec 3 17:50:44 MST 2009

BTW, we probably should stop advertising memberships on the home page.

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Hi Folks.
>
> Time is running shorter. The old thread on this is:
>
> http://cluedenver.org/pipermail/clue-admin/2009-June/003490.html

So here's my summary of our requirements:

1) affordable

2) someone else's hardware

3) no sysadmin required (but we have one if necessary)

4) mailman (with storage for the archives), PHP, version control for the web pages, backups of the
VCS repository, mail archives, and apache/mailman configurations

5) an "easy enough" mechanism to update web pages (mailman config is built in but it was nice to be
able to use the command line since I had sudo but not list admin)

Feel free to add on but I think that's pretty complete.

How much do suitable alternatives cost?

We need version control.  But it doesn't have to be on the server.  We can figure out a system to
use git or hg and then Jed, Dennis, and I (and whoever) can keep copies of the "official"
repository.  (I'd like to learn that but other solutions are fine too.)

We need backups, but keeping everything in VCS with multiple repositories is probably OK.  If the
host guarantees data that might be good enough too.

We need a web site:
- provides archives to the net: I think it's important that our discussions happen "in public", both
for our users and the rest of the Linux world (ditto for our meeting presentations)

- provides the info for installfest: I'm sure this gets used because I don't repeat all the content
in my emails (ditto for other meetings)

- provides our identity and a way for people to find us: gopher (and archie) are dead.  If we're not
on Google we don't exist.