[clue-admin] study group

Wed Feb 11 09:40:42 MST 2009

>> The purist in me says that we should expect everyone to be on
>> -announce. We might even just subscribe them.

> But then we can't truthfully claim that we run only confirmed opt-in
> mailing lists.

> And I suppose I would add that at some point, we ought to have enough
> confidence in each member's ability to make such a decision, and realize
> that by not being on -announce, he/she might not get some messages. But
> that could be exactly what's desired.

Somne arguments:

I think the belief that all our members are capable of subscribing to -announce is unjustifiable.  I met people last night that are committed to club, willing to work, receptive to club-related news, and entirely unaware of -announce and/or unaware of how mailing lists work.

I also am unable to imagine why a CLUEbie that is subscribed to any of the CLUE lists would want to miss CLUE-related announcements.

I know people that are too damn lazy to "figure out how" to sign up for the list, who still want to "know what's going on".  I was one of them for a while.  I'd forget to check the website in the very narrow window of topic-availability, and then I'd forget the meeting.  I would have been grateful for announcements.

In conclusion: If we want to be "opt-in" purists, we, at least need to make it one Hell of a lot easier to opt-in.  If we can't do that, we need to put a disclaimer on the "spoke" lists, that they come with a "free bonus" subscription to CLUE-announce, and then make that a list-of-lists or some such thing.