[clue-admin] Future Hosting Plans

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Mon Nov 30 16:50:30 MST 2009

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:23:52 -0700 (MST)
Crawford Rainwater wrote:

> > 6) Shared hosting plans are available that provide Mailman and shell
> > access. I haven't ever seen CVS available, but then I never looked for
> > it
> > either. Whether we even need shell access is debatable, but that
> > depends
> > on other factors.
>
> SVN or CVS could be installed on the current system and things taken
> from there.  I have not linked MailMan with SVN or CVS before though,
> but I can see that being a nice trick.  The web site should not be a
> problem though.

We have CVS on the server now, and it's how we update the website. I just
have never seen the capability of running a CVS repository with shared
hosting.

> > 7) If we were to go with a typical shared hosting plan, we'd probably
> > need to rethink how we update the website. I've seen shared hosting
> > plans
> > that offer WebDAV. Other possibilities come to mind, some of them a
> > bit
> > goofy, but do-able. Probably not worth thinking about in detail at
> > this
> > point, but something to keep in mind if a plan to use shared hosting
> > looks likely.
>
> For the CLUE Webmaster one additional avenue besides CLI could be using
> something like Drupal, Joomla, or similar.

I've always figured a big CMS was overkill for what we need. If we're
looking at low-budget hosting, there's potential for surcharges. I had
one hosting company nag me for using too much memory, and that was with
some relatively simple blog package.

I'm not terribly concerned about backups. Just have to adapt to whatever.
Right now, I do a nightly CVS update, and a nightly rsync
of /etc, /var/www, /var/cvs, and /var/lib/mailman/archives

--
Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin
sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me?