[clue-admin] Drupal meeting

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Wed Dec 29 07:57:09 MST 2010

----- Dennis J Perkins <dennisjperkins at comcast.net> wrote: -----

> I forgot to mention polls. That's also included with Drupal. Simply
> activate it and do a bit of configuring.
>
> I forgot that Drupal also wants cron or something equivalent. If I
> recall correctly, it is used to check for Drupal updates.

That does quite a few things, but simple to set up.  The main part is keeping the various Drupal components in check.

> I do know that Postgresql updates can break existing Postgresal
> databases, so the package management system needs to be told not to
> upgrade it automatically.

Simple solution.  Do a DB dump as a backup, update the DB, see how it is with the original version of the DB.  If there are problems, downgrade and check again.  If there are problems, use the dumped copy.  Go from there.

Upgrades for Drupal recommend making backups of the "sites" and "files" directories (and the subdirectories beneath) along with the databases before doing upgrades of Drupal itself.  So similar mindset when upgrading portions that are used to run Drupal or any other CMS.

> Drupal also lets us create roles, such as moderator, so we can
> distribute website work. The speaker coordinator will be able to
> update
> the meeting info himself, etc.

Definitely a nice feature to delegate some of the web site "verbage" duties.  I am sure Jed and David A. would appreciate that some. ;-)

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA