[clue-admin] On sponsorship and donations

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Mon Jan 11 06:55:24 MST 2010

Folks:

As mentioned in Jed's email about sponsorship and donations this has been a touchy subject.  There are some that feel that CLUE should register as a non-profit 501(c)3 with the tax ID and do the annual paper work for such.  Jeff Cann looked into this IIRC and noticed that the costs of doing such out weighted what was expected to be donated funding wise by quite a bit.

I endorse the idea of sponsors (Linux ETC has been assisting with the CLUE server related items since 2004; I myself use to run CLUE-North and the Installfests before David A's tour).  I would like to find a mutually acceptable way though for donations and such to taken in by CLUE where it will not have any legal or IRS ramifications though.

I do like the idea of sponsors being mentioned as well via email and/or at meetings even if they cannot have a presence at the meeting (going to the CLUE-DTC meetings for myself from Westminster is a PITA due to the drive ;-) ).  Being listed on the web site is a nice second.

Just my $0.02 on the topic.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court