[clue-admin] CLUE-Jobs list guidelines and thoughts

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Tue Jun 15 09:10:19 MDT 2010

Folks:

Dennis and I am moderating job postings to CLUE-Jobs Mailman list now.  I am pondering ones to accept/reject when I do not see something that is Linux and/or Open Source based in some cases.  For example, this is one that is the "to be reviewed" queue which is for a "Software Quality Analyst":

SKILLS REQUIRED
* Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in
writing.
* Sound working knowledge in GUI and system testing methodologies.
* Requires ability to work with team members to deliver on time and on
budget committed results to customers.
* Experience working with Web applications and testing Web based GUI
* Understanding of sessions, post backs, and general differences between
Windows and Web applications
* Basic understanding of HTML
* Basic understanding of XML
* Networking
* Moderate understanding of networking
* Comfortable modifying network settings
* TCP/IP
* FTP
* MS IIS
* Database (SQL)
* Basic understanding of relational databases
* Able to use SQL for basic querying
* Able to create simple joins with SQL
* Able to perform basic operations with Oracle database (create, read,
update and delete)
ADDITIONAL SKILLS DESIRED
* Scripting experience
* Coding experience
* Test Automation experience
* Experience working with H P Quality Center
* Experience working with IBM Rational Requisite Pro
* Experience working with VMware (working with virtual environments)
* Embedded Software experience
* Basic understanding of embedded testing
* Familiarity working with medical devices
* Able to perform basic troubleshooting of interface (communication layer)

The "MS IIS" and "...differences between Windows and Web applications" are having me lean towards the "not really" Linux and/or Open Source based side of the fence here.

So I am posing this to the CLUE-Admin list for some feedback.  Should CLUE-Jobs be specific to Linux and/or Open Source oriented jobs (or a majority of the requirements such) or should any IT job be permitted?

Thanks in advance.  For reference I receive the CLUE-Admin list in Digest format, so pardon any delays in advanec.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA