[CLUE-Cert] Where are we?

Lynn Danielson lynn.danielson at clue.denver.co.us
Wed Aug 1 11:44:59 MDT 2001

Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> How far did you guys get on Wed? I wanted to try to keep up here
> so I'm synced up when I go next time.

Not that far.  It was a poor turnout, probably due in part to
the fact that I'm not keeping the web page up to date.  We
discussed chapter 4 to some degree.  I'm ready to move on to
chapter 5, but I would have liked to discussed rpms & debs
some more.

> I did have another issue with Samba that is kind of odd. Even though
> I have guest as ok, I still have to login to the box in order
> to use print server. Now, on NT 4/5 this isn't bad because you
> can put a script in there to do that...I created a dummy user foo
> on Linux box so that it works. But on 98, you can't login as another
> user besides the one that you logged in as at the beginning. One of
> the many perks of using 95/98, I guess. :/

When you say that you have to login in to the (Samba) box in order
to print, you mean that you need to authenticate in order to use
it's netbios/smb services, right?  You don't actually have to login
through a telnet session or anything like that, do you?

You might consider specify a user map file in your smb.conf.  The
user map can map a Windows user to any Linux account you have on
your system.  I prefer to have an account on my Samba box which
matches the Windows account name for every user who needs access
to it.  The account does not need to be active or even have a
valid shell.  'Hope this helps.

> As for the filter on Linux vs. driver on Win boxes, I _think_ it's
> a native driver on the Win boxes...I had to use the HP720C install
> CD, on each Win client, in any case.

So, I presume you're not specifying an input filter (if=) in your
printcap file for the print queues your sharing via Samba?

Maybe, we'll see you next Wednesday at Batky-Howell?

Later,

Lynn