[CLUE-Cert] Good news

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at home.com
Thu Mar 8 17:36:35 MST 2001

Out of 50 questions, I got eight wrong for 84%. I had plenty of time
left over (out of the hour they give you). I took my time reviewing
the questions, and still had 15-20 minutes left over.

Here are the questions/answers I could remember, in no particular
order. Some of them have more answers than this, but I couldn't
remember more...so I put in ellipses.

1. Susie has 5 files: test, test2, test3, test4, test5. Which one of the
following will remove the five files? pick one
A. del test*
B. erase test?
C. rm test?
D. delete test*
E. none of the above

2. Susie has replaced her CMOS battery, but still the clock is
wrong. Which of the TWO following will solve the problem?

A. sync with a time server.
B. change CMOS manually before boot.
C. download and install GNU's gclock 2.0.
D. ...

3. During an upgrade, the tenth disk gives some error; read
error 0x01(or something like that, I forget the exact error).
Which one of the following will fix the problem? pick one

A. run badblocks.
E. none of the above.

4. Pick TWO ways to logout:
A. Ctrl-D
B. exit
C.
E.

5. What can you use to do compression? pick one
A. zcat
B. gzip
C.
..
E.

6. Linux is like traditional OS'es in that you must compile all drivers into
the kernel; you cannot load drivers at runtime. T or F.

7. Multitasking runs several programs w/one CPU, effectively increasing
system throughput. T or F.

8. find -name /temp *dog -print does what?  pick one
A. sends *dog to printer...
B. some other bogus answers.
E. sends a list of all filenames in /temp tree  that end with dog to stdout.

9. IP address: w.x.y.z  Each letter represents what? pick one
A. decimal value up to 8.
B. decimal value up to 16
C. decimal value up to 32
D. decimal value up to 254.

10. What functionality doesn't Netscape Communicator supply? pick one
A. anon ftp client
B. mail
C. web page editing
D. web server

11. What TWO of the following are not valid host addresses?
A. 192.168.96.0
B. 192.168.96.8
C. 192.168.96.255
D. 192.168.96.70

12. If all virtual terminals are used up by users that are logged in, how
can you log in w/o logging anyone out? (pick one)
A. ...
B. log in on parallel port
C. log in on network port
D. something about makevirt --8 to make an eight virtual terminal...
E. you can't.

13. What TWO files to edit to set path (for newly installed software) for all
users.
A. /etc/profile
B. /etc/loginrc
C. /etc/login
D. ...
E. ...

14. How does the OS communicate with hardware? (pick one)

A. device driver
B.
..
E.

15. Which TWO of the following is true of the X system?
A. X Server is lowest level; it handle the hardware.
B. ...
E.

16. What  true of file and grep (one or more)
A. file tries to display file type based on file contents.
B. file and grep are independent, but can be used together.
C. grep searches file for pattern given it.

Well, that's all I could remember. I'd say go ahead and take
it if you are sitting on the fence; it has some strange wording
in parts, just like the sample questions do, but there are enough
straightforward questions (and answers) to make up for it.

Cheers,
Sean