[CLUE-Cert] I passed

Dennis J Perkins dperkins2 at qwest.net
Wed Mar 28 22:49:35 MST 2001

Congratulations!  I had planned on taking the test this week, but my new
PLC duties interfered.

I am responsible for integrating the PLC's for the foreseeable future
and I have had fun this week.  I worked with Modrak to learn what needs
to be done and we got into fixing wiring, etc., things I did as an
instrument tech.  I think we will finish with Pinkneyville tomorrow and
Lisa has only a few things to fix.  I find her very easy to work with
and she has been showing me bits and pieces of RegPerfect.  At some
point I should show her and Kyle some of the PLC, but I'm not sure how
to approach this yet.
        Paula, Matt Blue and others are starting to come to me with PLC
problems on systems due to ship, and I think I could enjoy this for a
while.  It's really nice to get away from my desk and phone for a while.

After working on Pinkneyville with Lisa, I must agree with her that
Sample Editor sucks.  Really sucks.  I don't have a problem with the
database, altho I see why DASx performs so much better.  But the user
interface is horrid.  The report program is terrible and requires too
much work to use.  The only report I have run so far is the Cal Report
and I think that it should be scrapped for a version similar to DASx's
cal report.
        Accessing the database directly via SQL commands, on the other
hand, is great.  Lisa and Kyle think so too.  I would then take
frequently used queries and convert those into reports.  In fact, this
is what I used to do for Cris Miller.  When he needed something special
or realized that he was doing the same thing over and over with a lot of
manual work, he would write a work request and I would come to his
office and create report programs in VX-Rexx.

Lisa Anderson's birthday lunch went quite well.  She definitely needed
it since she has felt guilty and insecure since last Friday, and she
doesn't know many people here yet, so she was very happy we did this.  I
think Lisa Ward's  spirits are starting to recover as well and Eric is
back to his usual effervescent self.
--
  Dennis