[CLUE-Cert] SSH forwarding

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Oct 31 14:20:34 MST 2001

Hi Sean,

I'm new to the cert group, so I don't think we've met.

Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> I fired up TeraTerm Pro on Windoze 2000, and ssh'ed into the first Linux box.
> >From there, I ssh'ed into another Linux box, and started up kmail. Kmail
> displayed on W2K box. Pretty cool.

Did you do anything to verify that the kmail window was going through ssh?  It seems
that if you just set up ssh, and don't do anything specific to the DISPLAY on the kmail
machine, that it will forward through ssh.  But you could also get a direct X connection
with no encryption.

If you have any references to ssh forwarding (or want to write a brief description), I'd
be happy to read them.  I looked at HOWTOs and man pages, and although I understand the
concept, the details were very sketchy.  For example, how is the tunnel set up (which
commands, which machines), when running a tunnel, what runs where (client, server, ssh,
sshd).

I haven't looked at this much, and though I can guess what goes on from a basic
understanding, the docs I found didn't do much to confirm my guesses.

Thanks.

Dave