[CLUE-Cert] Compaq Laptop Installation

Ben Roe ben at tde.com
Mon Sep 10 21:23:18 MDT 2001

I realize this is a bit off-topic since we're no longer on installation issues, but thought you might be interested in my experience with loading KRUD (Kevin's Red Hat Uber Distribution--see tummy.com), RH 7.1 with errata and patches, onto a Compaq 1800T laptop which I inherited.

I was able to easily re-partition the drive with PartitionMagic 4 (20 gig or less works fine with PM4; >20G doesn't).

Booted off the KRUD CD, and loaded the default Laptop configuration without incident, with the exception that the laptop got VERY hot while it was loading.

At one point after the load finished and I started using it (Gnome desktop), the keyboard locked up and the display started to turn a wierd color (sorta looked like it was melting), so I held the power button down for 4 seconds to forcibly shut it off. This happened a couple of times.

Now, the laptop will turn on, oh, maybe once every 30 tries.  That's turn on, not boot.  Once it actually starts, it boots fine, no errors, and no display problems, into either RH 7.1 or Win ME.

I called Compaq and when I told them I had dual booted the machine and loaded Red Hat 7.1 Linux they "pulled" (voided) the software warranty:  they said they do not support Linux on ANY of their computers except business servers.

So, don't buy Compaq computers if you want to dual-boot Linux and Windows.

Now here's the interesting part:  when I pressed them about why, the bottom line was that it was a Microsoft rule.

Now I have to find someone who will look at the hardware without turning their noses up when they find Linux on it.

Any suggestions are welcome.  (You can reply off-list unless you think your comments will have broader interest.)

I will try to keep up with the SA book, but my mother is not doing well with cancer, so I may be out for awhile.

Peace,
ben
--
Ben Roe