[CLUE-Cert] Sys Admin Test

Michael James Robbert mrobbert at mines.edu
Fri Sep 21 16:05:20 MDT 2001

 From the find man page:

  -exec command ;
               Execute command; true if 0 status is returned.  All
               following arguments to find are taken to  be  argu­
               ments  to  the command until an argument consisting
               of `;' is encountered.  The string `{}' is replaced
               by the current file name being processed everywhere
               it occurs in the arguments to the command, not just
               in arguments where it is alone, as in some versions
               of find.  Both of these constructions might need to
               be  escaped  (with a `\') or quoted to protect them
               from expansion by the shell.  The command  is  exe­
               cuted in the starting directory.

I use this all the time and I love it.  I find that the common use of
-print is too limiting and I quite often want to execute an ls -l on the
files that I find.  The {} gets replaced with any files that are found
and that command is executed.  So your example would find all files name
core and then execute the command rm -f core.  Then the \; is just
escaping the ; that is required after the command.
It is a little confusing at first, but if you use it as much as I do
then you begin to memorize it.

--
Michael "Murph" Robbert
System Administrator for Math/CS