[CLUE-Cert] Next meeting & spam issues

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Sun Aug 25 11:33:38 MDT 2002

On 08-25 10:07, Ski Dawg wrote:
<snip>

> Well, we'll see if this one gets through. Not sure why this happened. I
> am not running any kind of mail server, so it probably an issue with my
> isp. I have forwarded them your message.

This message got through with only a 2.4 score.

> The 209.245.5.230 looks like an address that they would assign to my
> machine when I dial in, but I don't know if that was the case or not (
> don't have that logged). The ip address of the server I use to send mail
> is 63.137.244.6, so that isn't it. I wonder if 209.245.5.230 got flagged
> in the past by someone else as a spam address, then that person/group
> released it.
>
> The capital words were since I capitalized clue-cert. It seems a little
> curious since the words clue-cert were capitalized in the subject and
> the body of the message, SpamAssassin says that it is a 22% chance that
> the message is spam. Well, they have done a lot more research on the
> subject than I have.

I'll say. Apparently, it even uses genetic algorithms in some capacity.
Also, here is a list of tests it does:
http://www.spamassassin.org/tests.html

These guys have taken an annoying problem, and turned it on its head by
building an innovative solution.  Since installing this thing yesterday, it
correctly identified 16 pieces of junk mail, missed one, and gave a false
positive for one (yours). Not too shabby. And I usually get more spam during
the weekday. I can't express how cool this software is. And the time it took
to integrate with my fetchmail/procmail/mutt setup was just minutes, really.
If I hadn't just gotten laid off, I'd be sending these guys a big check.

> I also have no idea what the SMTPD32 part is. I did a quick google
> search for it, but didn't see anything that would explain it.

I can't find anything either. My guess is that maybe it's commonly used for
a bulk mailer? Or maybe it's notoriously buggy and can be hijacked easily?

> As for the meeting, I don't have a preference if we do it Monday (as in
> tomorrow) or do it the second Monday of the month. I agree that a month
> is a little long, but if it can't be helped, then it can't be helped.

Since it's just us that seem to be on here, let's have a vote, you and I.
No, wait. I guess only Jef's vote that really matters, since his company
provides the meeting place. :)

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time
that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.
-Oscar Wilde, "The Critic as Artist"